"The Lord bless you and keep you" Numbers 6:24

Friday, December 31, 2010

"Old Friends"

I've known Larry Russell since I was in junior high. He was three years ahead of me in school--just enough to play a really important role in the youth group at 1st United Brethren Church. We also went to the same high school, Richwoods HS, and then I followed him to Huntington  College. I'd see Larry from time to time after we were both out of college because he stayed in the Fort Wayne area for a few years working for Youth For Christ. Then he and his wife, Pat, spent some time in Germany for almost a decade. Currently they reside in the Denver area. He worked for YFC Int'l for several years and has been on the Lausanne staff for a couple of year as director of the Global Link. Larry, Brian and I had breakfast together the last morning of the congress. 
Ned Kiser was on staff at Huntington College as Director of Development. Among other things, a beautiful new science building was constructed while he was there. More recently he has worked on the Lausanne staff. He is the one who suggested I would like to work on the Session  Summary Team as part of the Communications Team so I could actually be in the sessions. Thanks, Ned. His wife, Robin, was a gracious and cheerful "go-fer" at the congress. When they lived in Huntington they attended College Park Church where my brother, Brent, was pastor. Robin was (and still is) especially good friend's with my sister-in-law, Sandie. I enjoyed spending time with both Ned and Robin. 

Doug, me and Larry after the reception for the members of the Communications Team. Larry was the emcee for the evening. The three of us were in the youth group and on the quiz team at 1st United Brethren Church in Peoria. For just a couple of moments we were all in one place during the week of the Lausanne congress.




Pat (Corey) Russell and I became acquinted at Huntington College. She was two years ahead of me. She was a tennis player, musician and part of an offical "deputation team" for the college which traveled on behalf of the college thoughtout the year and especially during the summer to camps. She and Larry Russell started dating in college and married after she graduated. Recently she returned to school, attending seminary, and obtaining a degree in pastoral counseling. It was great to see her and Cape Town and catch up on the last 30 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment