"The Lord bless you and keep you" Numbers 6:24

Saturday, October 16, 2010

In Cape Town, South Africa!!!

This is my reason for the trip--coming to Cape Town, South Africa. Brian and I left Kiev yesterday afternoon. I sat by a real nice young gal named Anna Sudakevych who is also attending the Lausanne Congress. She saw me reading a copy of Christian Century, the magazine Janet now works for, and started a conversation with me. There were several of Brian's friends, part of the Ukrainian delegation, also on that plane.
It took 5 hours to get to Abu Dhabi, UAE. I knew when in Kiev I didn't look like Ukrainians. I really knew when in Abu Dhabi that I didn't look like I belonged there.
When we boarded the plane for Cape Town I sat beside a fellow from France named Jacque Nussbaumer. He is from the eastern part of France, near Switzerland, and knows he had an unce who had 11 children who came to the US. Jacque is also attending the congress; Brian was a few rows behind me and he was with 3 Irish delegates to the congress. One of them works for Taylor University in Ireland.
That was a 12 hour flight!!! There was one 1 1/2 stop in Johannesburg but we couldn't get off the plane. I was able sleep most of the way. How nice to finally arrive at our destination. Cape Town has a beautiful airport. There were signs everywhere indicating that the World Cup had taken place here not too long ago.
We were told to look for signs welcoming us to the Lausanne Congress. They were very prominent and a welcome sight. Shuttle buses are running all day today from the airport to downtown Cape Town to the Cape Town International Convention Center (CTICC). While waiting to load the bus we were entertained by a very lively group of young black Africans singing, playing instruments and dancing.
Almost immediately after Brian and I got off the bus we saw Doug. Brian and I went inside to complete our registration. What an army of volunteers and what great organization!!! We then walked to our hotel two blocks away. It is a very easy walk and right down by the waterfront. The sun is shining and it is in the mid 70s--a beautiful day.
I needed to be back at the convention center for a meeting of the Sessions Summary Team on which I am a part. I have special security access number on my ID tag which allows me behind the scenes. The security is very tight and we have been warned that it will be even tighter when the congress starts tomorrow.
The team is composed, except for our leader, of all women. Except for one gal who was born in the Ivory Coast and now lives in London, all of us are from the US. One, a gal with Jews for Jesus, lives in Santa Monica, CA where my son, Mark, lives. Another is the personal secretary for Vonette Bright, wife of founder and first president of Campus Crusade for Christ.
There is a very exciting atmosphere in the air as hundreds of delegates are pouring into the city today. I think I will close for now and go and find other members of Doug's family who I know are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment